I think Navid hits it on the head.

Too often personas get mixed up in that crazy world of "market
segmentation" where they really don't belong (at least not
traditional age/income/race market segmentation).

Especially when dealing with web pages, I tend to think of personas
in terms of pathways and IA. There are  only so many tasks a visitor
can perform at your site, and ideally you lead them through the
logical steps to their goal. Each pathway is built from the persona.

Ultimately, I agree that 15 sounds like a lot, and that those 15
probably share a number of goals that could be grouped into fewer
ultimate personas.

You can't be everything to everyone, but ignoring potential
customers is a hard mindset to instill.