It sounds as they're looking for market segmentation rather than
personas. Personas should be built in a way that the fewest possible
can represent the needs of all. This facilitates efficiency in design.
Market segmentation and resulting profiles can be quite complex,
detailed and specific to facilitate marketing needs.

So one way to answer the question is: no more than you can effectively
and efficiently design for. Which for me tends to max out somewhere
around 5, 6 or 7.

-challis