My next suggestion would make the entire Audiophile forum burst into
flames, so thanks for posting in the General Discussion forum, for
everyone's sake.

I think that lack of detail you may be hearing is not from the file
format, DAC, EMI, headphone jack, or headphones.  It's the wind (and
let's hope also just a little less concentration on the music).

I hypothesize that if you took your audio and passed it through a
dynamic range compressor, you'd be able to hear all of that low-volume
detail that you think the iPod is having trouble with.  Yes, it would
distort the audio in a lossy fashion (for goodness sakes only do this
on a COPY of your music!).  Yes, even better it would clip your audio
too.  But I believe it's quite likely that the audio quality lost by
all of these factors would be less than that lost by a poor listening
environment, which is what I think your main problem is.  I am 100%
serious.

If you're up for experimentation, there's a Linux utility called sox,
which has a "compand" feature for exactly this purpose.  The sox manual
gives the following example:

sox input.flac output.flac compand 0.3,1 6:-70,-60,-20 -5 -90 0.2

You can adjust the third-to-last argument to address clipping.  I think
-5 is too high and clips too much, YMMV.  But you're not going to be
able to get rid of clipping entirely in this process.

--
CatBus