Thanks m_l , a couple of surprises in there for me. First one is that
they have a wolfson DAC in the later generation ipods! Also I was
reminded there of the line out that's available through the proprietary
docking socket, which given the previous points might make a difference
to sound quality just by using that instead of the headphone socket.

That mod looks like something I'd definitely like to try. Even if
posting a working device off to someone on the internet to break it
open and modify it seems a little mad. :-)

Damn, it looks like Vinnie charges $250 for the mod! Ok so I was given
this machine, but that's not far off the original price back when the
apple marketing machine was peaking. Or is that the price for a
ordering a modded ipod, it's not that clear from the site. I'll ask him
and post the response.

I mean what are we talking inside the box, a couple of capacitors?

--
gowger