gowger;332685 Wrote:
> I figured this would be one forum where people might know and care about
> sound quality in portable digital music players.
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to get a sound quality as good as a
> slimplayer from any portable music player, that supports flac?
>
> I have an ipod, I didn't buy it by the way! I flashed it with rockbox
> firmware to play ogg and flac files, which makes it a tolerable machine
> but I swear the sound quality out of it is totally shite!
>
> Whenever I put on the slim player then I'm amazed at the difference
> with the same file, even a with 128KBps mp3s
>
> I've heard the the Bang & Olufsen player is pretty good, but no flac or
> ogg support. The codecs are of course far too free to be possible to
> include in a commercial device.
>
> Is there any portable music player manufacture with an attitude like
> Slim Devices?
>
> I want something like the ipod with rockbox firmware and the lovely DAC
> that you get in a slim player.

My 2 cents: when you go portable you are going to be dealing with
background noise and hotel rooms with portable speakers.  So don't try
to achieve "listening room" quality.  My advice is to rip to high bit
rate OGG (or batch convert from FLAC), then buy the Koss Porta Pro for
head phones with good bass.  I use a Tivoli Songbook unit for hotel
rooms and am happy with that.

--
earthbased