CatBus;332694 Wrote:
> Let me preface this by saying that you're very unlikely to get
> SB3-quality audio from a portable.  So just let this requirement go,
> and your choices start looking better.
>
> I'm a RockBox user myself, and I personally use an iAudio X5.  For what
> it is, the audio quality is quite good.  I've also heard good things
> about iRiver players, and I believe there may even be some older (and
> possibly discontinued?) models out there with digital outputs.

I use Rockbox on an old iRiver H140 (upgraded to a 60GB drive), and the
sound quality is very good.  It has an optical out if that floats your
boat.  If you're happy without colour screens, don't mind it being a
bit on the chucky side etc than you can't go far wrong.  Unfortunately,
of course, it is discontinued, but ebay may be your friend.

I've never blindtested it against my SB3 to be honest, but maybe one
day when I'm bored...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRiver_H140

--
jeebers