I agree, I used the FF/REW for the first time and was elated.

Philip, the old system was never consistent.  Every once in a while it
would work, but generally I would hold FF, it would go to 2x, then hold
FF again, it would go to 4x, then I'd push play, and it would restart
the song, or even worse, it would start playing as if it never engaged
the transport.  I got so sick of trying to use it, I just stopped
using.  I probably haven't used it in over a year.  It certainly wasn't
as reliable as a DVD player with the same functionality.  The new
version has been used at least 10 time so far with only positive
results.

I also don't understand how that horrible stuttering audio could help
you determine the position of the audio, especially in a long podcast.
I couldn't intelligibly discern what was happening with music that I was
very familiar with.  The lack of audio cuing is standard with all
computer based players, so perhaps most are just used to it now.  I
don't listen to podcasts that much, but it stinks you lost some
functionality.

Perhaps, to your point, if it would have been possible, it would have
been nice to have the option of one or the other.

--
verbatone