>Philip, the old system was never consistent.  Every once in a while it
>would work, but generally I would hold FF, it would go to 2x, then hold
>FF again, it would go to 4x, then I'd push play, and it would restart
>the song

Well, I never had any trouble like that.  I did have an occasional problem when
it would skip to the end of a song and start playing the next song.  It didn't
happen often though.

If there were bugs with it, then they could have been raised and fixed.  I
found it very intuitive.  I want to fast-forward, so I press and hold FWD, and
it says x2 and plays twice as fast.  It was obvious to me that press-and-hold
FWD again would go faster, and play would resume playback at normal speed.  The
only unintuitive thing was that press-and-hold REW didn't decelerate, it went
straight into reverse, but that was a simple thing to change.

>I probably haven't used it in over a year.  It certainly wasn't
>as reliable as a DVD player with the same functionality.

But there's no reason why it couldn't have been made reliabe.  The mechanism
was correct, just needed implementing more robustly?

>I also don't understand how that horrible stuttering audio could help
>you determine the position of the audio, especially in a long podcast.
I can tell the difference between noise and no noise.  That means I can find
the end of a song and the start of the next song, whether I want to skip to the
next whitespace or through a long whitespace section.

>The lack of audio cuing is standard with all computer based players, so
>perhaps most are just used to it now.

That doesn't make it correct, or more useful to not have it.

The new mechanism it just too slow to position through a long track, as there's
no way to increase acceleration manually.  I guess it's the difference between
owning an automatic or manual gearbox car :-)  I prefer manual, but an option
to select either gearbox is often provided (at least in the UK).

Phil