As the self appointed spokesperson for the silent majority (of PC users
who don't know or care what happens inside the box), I have some
observations:

"the "computer as toaster" folks will never knowingly install Linux.
They will never choose Linux."

100 percent correct

"a large section of the population uses Linux without even knowing it
every day, and likes it"

First part is correct, of course, second part is not.

My experience is that "users" of embedded software don't want to know,
and don't care, what is making the hardware work. Many (most?) may not
even realize there is software involved. In any event, they like the
functionality, or the device, or the app, and have no further interest
or curiousity.

"if that box comes with Windows, Linux, or OSX is pretty much
irrelevant"

If by box, you mean PC, it is not irrelevant. If the box has Linux, it
would not be purchased in the first place. Other than by mistake.

"I suggest you try out....."

I'll try out a beer with you, or a new restaurant, or something
similar. But an operating system?  No thanks, not interested.

--
Goodsounds