EnochLight;354479 Wrote:

> This argument is simply ridiculous.  I carry my iPhone in my pocket
> with me at all times.  To be able to take it out at any time anywhere
> in the house and access SqueezeCenter and all of my Squeezeboxes would
> be far from "cute".  It would be freak'n kick arse.
>
> Battery life and the WiFi chip used in the iPhone has never been a
> problem for my use on my home network.  I come home, it hops on the
> network when I wake it up from standby - ironically alot *FASTER* than
> my Duet's Controller if it's sitting in sleep mode off of the charger.
> It lasts throughout the day/night.
>
> Do you even own an iPhone/iPod Touch?
>
> At any rate, the person that this setup would appeal to would find it
> incredibly useful and an excellent complement to the Controller.  99%
> of the people out there don't walk around with a Controller in their
> pocket.  An iPhone on the other hand.... There have been a hundred
> times when I left my SB playing in the livingroom and decided that I
> wanted to turn it off or adjust the volume/track while in the basement.
> Having left the Controller in the livingroom on the charger, I would
> love to be able to launch an app on my iPhone (that resides in my
> pocket) and go to town.
>
> And as far as incoming calls - no worries - that's the beauty about
> having a device that not only serves as cell phone but a gazillion
> other things as well.  Answer the call, finish the conversation, and
> then resume jamming to your tunes.  What's the big deal?
>
> I can think of no reason why this isn't a good idea, aside from
> Slim/Logitech worrying that it will take away from Controller sales -
> in which case that's too bad...
>
> ...but Sonos did it... ;^p

To begin, as a courtesy, I never call anyone else's argument
"ridiculous". I respect everyone's opinions. I state my case on my post
or reply and let the readers draw their own conclusion. I guess you did
not read my full argument. I said that the iPhone with iPeng or a
SqueezePlay derivative solution is "fine" as "personal" remote not as
"home" remote that everyone and their family and friends can use. I
don't know about you, but my Smartphone is too personal and not for
anyone else to use. Yes, the Sonos solution is a "cute" solution for
"one" user not practical for "home" use. If someone else in your
household is using your iPhone to create Playlist and you receive a
call from work that's going to keep you on the iPhone for an hour...
what's the person that was creating the playlist supposed to do in the
meantime?... I know... they should get their own iPhone. My nephew has
an iPhone on which we installed iPeng. We tested we liked, but he took
his iPhone with him. Btw, no one walks around with a "remote' in their
pocket because is not a multipurpose device it's always at home in the
vicinity of the AV system where "anyone" can use it. I have to assume
that your iPhone has either infinite battery life or you do not use it
for long calls, you do not receive many calls and you do not fully take
advantage of all its other multimedia capabilities on an ongoing basis.
I just got an Samsung Epix for work and personal use because it comes
with 18000 mAh battery. I'm giving up a couple bells and whistles, but
since I use my Smartphone to make a lot of business calls and send a
lot MMS messages with pictures it was the most sensible way for me to
go. Battery life is the Achilles heel of all these mobile devices if
you use them for prolonged periods of time... No one can argue that.
The iPhone 3G comes with just a 1200 mAh battery... with the way I use
my Smartphone that battery would barely last me a day. I know I can get
a Mobile Power Pack... but who wants to carry that. At the end of the
day I'd have to recharge it and would not be able to have it in my
pocket while I walk around my house to use it as a remote. I guess the
folks that see the Sonos and iPeng solutions as very practical do not
use the other features of their iPhone on a "extensive" regular basis
and use their iPhone as a "personal" remote. When a Squeezeplay
derivative for Smartphones comes out, I'll use it, but as "personal"
player, remote and on a limited basis.

--
tamanaco