>From a business standpoint, this looks like a smart move for exactly one
reason: offloading costs & risks to Apple. The Sonos controller is
dated, big, clunky, and inferior to the Squeezebox Controller in pretty
much every respect. Rather than do the hard work of making better
hardware, they're leveraging Apple's design, manufacturing,
distribution, marketing, etc. Smart, though it makes me wonder if Sonos
is running out of ideas.

>From a UI standpoint, who cares? There was only one part of the demo
video that looked interesting, the concept of proportionately related
volume control for a group of synchronized players. Beyond that, I saw
nothing significant that isn't already in SqueezeCenter+SqueezePlay
7.2. It looks like early Controller firmware -- text-heavy, lots of
"missed opportunities". And it's an English-only app right now -- they
didn't even localize it? Is this just a market test, to see if they can
bail on making Rev 2 hardware and just use iPod Touch devices? If it
goes well, they'll start to flesh out the UI on this app?

Oh, and as cool as the iPod Touch/iPhone interface is (and I mean
Apple's basic UI, not the new Sonos app), it looks like a two-handed
UI. Probably better than the clunky old Sonos controller, but, unlike
the Squeezebox Controller, not usable with one hand. I'd definitely
install the Sonos app if I had an iPod Touch and Sonos gear (just as
I'd try iPeng), but even with this new software, Sonos doesn't have a
controller option that really competes with the Squeezebox Controller.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver ContextMenu FuzzyTime
KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock