jaffacake;354594 Wrote:

> The second market comes from people who want a nice modern touchscreen
> controller. As well as being "cool" the touch interface also adds
> benefits in the form of an on-screen keyboard - ideal for artist/track
> searches which aren't so easy on a scroll wheel. For these people, this
> cool controller starts at $220 for a basic iPod Touch...it's a great
> price. Not only that, it can also be used as a portable media player
> with local music/video playback and it's a great little web browser.
>
> Sonos CR100 controller? $399 - Squeezebox Controller $292.12
> (amazon.com) - iPod Touch 8GB $219.94 (amazon.com)
>
> It's obvious to see the attraction here, the iPod option is not only
> touch screen, but it can save $$ over the price of the proprietary
> controller option. People WILL buy them as dedicated controllers.
> People WILL pass them around at parties and people WILL treat them like
> any other controller.

I agree entirely.  The SBC is interesting but does not yet perform as a
system remote.  For that I utilise a Logitech Harmony One.  I need it to
allow my family to control the whole TV / Sound System with ease.  It
works on a state basis and is used to select from a range of simple
options (Listen to Music, Watch Film, Watch TV, etc....)  Its a pity it
does not have WiFi to fully integrate the Squeezbox experience - and its
a relatively cheap touch screen + button device.

I think this would be a better prospect for Logitech / Slim long term.
The SBC is just too dedicated for it's price level.

The use of an iPod Touch as an additional controller is simple
(although until we have a fully localised application there are some
performance frustration issues).  The price / performance ration is
likely to remain unbeatable.

I realise the views expressed are personal, there is no perfect
solution, bt the SBC role seems a little limited.

Just leaves one question Pippin - when's the native application
finished?

Regards

David

--