bpa;414728 Wrote:
> ModelCitizen has pointed out that time-of-day may be significant.
>
> I know when testing for a BBC RealAudio bug I found that BBC servers
> used to drop data on R4 more frequency between 5.pm-7.30pm Mon-Thur,
> about 11.00-12.00 Sunday. This is an indication that certain parts of
> the network between BBC and my PC were getting congested.
>
> The same sort of issue might be happening with Virgin - for example, at
> certain times of the day, some of their network may be getting congested
> and the backbone switches start dropping data packets and so are relying
> on BBC to resend the dropped data - this could cause a stream to stop.
> There are many other scenarios which are not "bandwidth shaping" but
> just traffic management.

Absolutely, I agree, there are many potential causes.  I've found
however the real audio streams to be generally very reliable (and
certainly don't cause my SB3 to reboot when they stop or stutter).

I had a reply back from Virgin, who confirmed that STM (Subscriber
Traffic Management) is the only form of purposeful bandwidth control
they utilise.  Simply, they reduce your bandwidth (up and down) by 75%
for up to 5 hours if you exceed the daily download or upload quota,
something I don't go anywhere near.

--
chris.mason