Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm pretty certain its not bandwidth shaping, I don't believe Virgin
bandwidth-shape, but I can check.

As for software players, I haven't checked so thats a good point, but
its quite difficult to do, as the problem is so erratic.  For example,
earlier today (1pm UK) I had this occur.  Then 30 mins later the
streams played fine.  I've not had any problem with the Listen Again
streams by the way.

Also, I don't believe this is limited to BBC feeds.  THe WMA ClassicFM
stream (as provided via SN) also does the same thing to my SB3.

I've opened a ticket with support on this too.

Next time the problem occurs, I'll try on software devices too.

--
chris.mason