bpa;414684 Wrote:
> The crash is definitely a bug but this changing of traffic may not be
> traffic shaping just a artifact of the way the backbone network treats
> some data flows.
>
> IT would be interesting to try a few other tests to see how the problem
> manifests itself.
>
> 1. Disable Windows Media "native" in Settings/Advanced/Filetypes - this
> will mean WMA stream ends in SC and is transcoded there into Flac or
> MP3. I would expect the problem to go away.
>
> 2. Make the SC be a proxy so that WMA is decoded by SB3 but TCP
> datastream from BBC is terminated at SC.  In Settings/Player/Audio Set
> "MP3 Streaming method" to "proxied streaming".  I believe the title is
> misleading and proxying also occurs for WMA streams.  An alternative to
> try would be to sync two hardware players.  If the WMA content is being
> corrupted in some way then the crash will occur otherwise I would
> expect no crash.

Good ideas, thanks I'll give those a go.  I think ModelCitizen might
also have a point in this being an issue with ASX rather than WMA
directly, although its odd that the WMA stream does actually play even
for a few seconds.

On the proxying, SC is already set to be a stream proxy.  I could try
changing it to Direct!

I'll try forcing encoding to MP3 as well, as you suggest.  As I say,
its hard to be certain whats going on, because the problem is so
transient - I could get it working by transcoding to MP3, but it
doesn't mean the problem is solved.  If I could get this problem to
occur consistently, that would be a start.

--
chris.mason