The crash is definitely a bug but this changing of traffic may not be
traffic shaping just a artifact of the way the backbone network treats
some data flows.

IT would be interesting to try a few other tests to see how the problem
manifests itself.

1. Disable Windows Media "native" in Settings/Advanced/Filetypes - this
will mean WMA stream ends in SC and is transcoded there into Flac or
MP3. I would expect the problem to go away.

2. Make the SC be a proxy so that WMA is decoded by SB3 but TCP
datastream from BBC is terminated at SC.  In Settings/Player/Audio Set
"MP3 Streaming method" to "proxied streaming".  I believe the title is
misleading and proxying also occurs for WMA streams.  An alternative to
try would be to sync two hardware players.  If the WMA content is being
corrupted in some way then the crash will occur otherwise I would
expect no crash.

--
bpa