I think there are many "ultimate" servers for SBS (the new SC). You've
hit the different things that different users will consider the most
important: noise, power consumption, capacity, size, boxes that look
good, etc. So I agree with iPhone that you would need to look at a
*lineup *of variations on the appliance.

This also fits with my hidden agenda, which is to persuade you to
provide more information about what is inside each box. Your product
pages on vortexbox.org, vortexbox.com, and amazon.com don't provide
basic information such as processor, RAM, sound card, etc. You appear to
be targeting users who want easy solutions, and that's great, but you
can still have a separate Specs page with all the gory hardware details.
You have provided some of that information in this forum, and it sounds
like you have a real winner. But I still hesitate to recommend it to
friends because too much is unknown, so it's not immediately clear why
it's worth US$200 more than the MSI box on which it seems to be based.

I basically like what you have now, although I doubt I'd ever use the
optical drive.

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). MSI Wind desktop (Ubuntu 8.10)
feeding: Basement: Duet > JVC JA-S44 > ESS Tempest LS8; Kitchen/Dining:
SB2 + SBC > AudioSource Amp100 > 2 pairs Polk RC60i; Living room: SB3 >
Technics SA-EX140 > Bose Acoustimass 3; Bedroom: Boom + SBC; Study: Duet
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/