I had stated earlier in this thread that I never saw any rebuffering
issues in 7.3.3., but that was clearly tempting fate. It happened to me
yesterday!

I was playing a FLAC-encoded album at the time and immediately switched
on the buffering monitoring diagnostic screen saver on my SB3.  I
noticed that the buffer fullness bar was not able to get to 100%, but
was doing a random walk and sometimes emptying completely, thus
triggering a rebuffering pause.

I then checked what else was going on around the network, and found
that one of my sons had a Steam game downloading and was getting
excellent download speed. Sufficient speed, in fact, to choke off my
bandwidth for streaming FLACs. (I don't currently have any QoS rules in
effect on my LINKSYS WRT54GL running Tomato firmware.)

My curiosity was aroused to see what streaming bandwidth was being used
by the SB3 when playing back FLAC across my wireless network. The
attached chart shows what I could find by looking at the Tomato realtime
bandwidth monitor. Looking at the graphic you can see three tracks being
played in the space of 10 minutes.

* The gaps before the peaks are when the end of the previous track is
being played out of the SB3's buffer memory and the SB3 has not begun to
pre-buffer the next track.

* The peaks are when the next track is getting buffered as quickly as
possible.

* The steady(ish) 700kbps bandwidth is during normal track playback
when the buffer is being consumed at the same rate it is being
replenished and is close to 100% full.

Notice that network conditions were gradually improving during this 10
minute window, indicated by the peak bandwidth during the buffering of
the up-coming track. Ideally, this should be as narrow and tall as
possible meaning the buffer was refilled in a short period of time.

A vulnerability exists if the (supposedly) rapid buffering of the next
track is throttled by network congestion. Under these conditions the
weakest point is when you have emptied the previous track buffer but
can't get sufficiently ahead of the game to gain some safety margin.  It
seems to me that to safely play back FLACs with an average bandwidth of
700kbps, you need some safe multiple of that bandwidth to be reliably
available (at least x2, but preferably x4 or better).

It would be better still if the SB3 would start buffering the next
track earlier (i.e., alternating between two buffers so you can fill the
next buffer while playing out the current one). That gap, followed by a
peak is what will surely cause trouble in some marginal connectivity
scenarios.

|Filename: tomato-bw.jpg                                            |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7870|

dsdreamer