funkstar;452078 Wrote:
> 802.11n is not a magic bullet for wireless reliability or signal
> strength.
>
> DraftN devices work really well at the moment, but they are all premium
> devices. Once N replaces G in basic APs and routers, we will see lots of
> cost cutting and truely terrible devices that cause huge amounts of
> problems with streaming devices.

wireless N sounds great and probably IS great but it won't be a simple
task to implement the new protocol in people's homes. for older
computers, a wireless n card will need to be purchased, then some folks
will need to upgrade their routers, etc. etc.

I recently purchased a Netgear MOCA ethernet adapter kit for my
streaming video needs (i already have powerline adapters for my
squeezeboxen) and it works like a charm. You simply plug any coax cable
connection into it and then connect an ethernet cable out to any
computer/ethernet device and you then have a connection that's faster
than wireless n.

I've always been sold on the notion of wired instead of wireless
whenever possible.

--
exile