local.bin;473273 Wrote:
> Thanks for all your input.
>
> I'm struggling with the Napster / Spotify decision, rather than the £5
> decision really.
>
> There is no iphone client for Napster, but there is great Slimserver
> support, while the opposite is true for Spotify :-/
>
> Of course if the service is good I'll never need support, but with
> Spotify I can cancel the service by opting out in my account and their
> service is great.
>
> You have to go via customer services with Napster and I've heard
> varying reports about that service.
>
> If the service is indeed good, then £5 is a bargain :)
>
> Its also a pity that my music seems to be on Spotify but only in the US
> Napster site...
>
> Have any of you tried m.napster.com site? does it also work well?
>
> Thanks again.

I have not tried m.napster.com
I agree that an iPhone client would be useful, although for me the
streaming to squeezeboxen is the main focus for Napster.

My offer of £10 still stands ;-)

As for the opt out. I subscribe via a credit card. I subscribe to the
"If i signed up online so I should be able to cancel the same way"
school of thought. I was not aware that Napster made you call up to
cancel. "Dear Naspter, How can I phone up to cancel if I am deaf and
dumb?"
I 'm almost certain that I emailed then to cancel my last subscription
with no fuss.

I think Spotify wil be dead in a year and Naspter might limp along for
another year after that. The money in the music industry is to be made
in touring, but that is a small % of total music sales.

How can the record industry go from charging me £10 for Hendrix-Axis
Bols As Love on Vinyl to £12 on CD to £5 to download to £5/8million
(0.000006p) per month to listen to it.

I believe that music will become low bandwidth fodder as a free addon
to your ISP. The record companies will survive by getting us to buy
digitally remastered, top notch, super duper, MP3 files of the Albums I
have on record, tape, CD etc. for yet more money. I'll end up paying 4
times for the same record.

Excuse the diversion ;-)

--
mmca22gr