Thanks everyone ... I guess I had been hoping there was a way to
prioritise the streamed music over the file transfer, but it looks like
there isn't. I don't think it is a CPU / disk problem. Will probably
just have to live with it. However two thoughts come to mind:

1) I might upgrade the server / router to N from G, but it is far from
clear that this will help.

2) Is it possible to run two networks. Use routers, running on
different channels. But how would the laptop log on to two separate
wireless networks? Guess I'd have to get a dongle?

--
rbl