rbl;565695 Wrote:
> But powerlines also suffer from noise apparently. I think going to N at
> 5GHz makes sense since not many people use it (yet), and at least you
> dodge bluetooth, phones and microwaves. Of course the SB3 is still G,
> but at least part of the network would be better

Everything suffers from noise, even ethernet cables, it's all about the
kind of noise and how it's managed. Cat5 etc. handles noise very well
and is designed specifically for what it does, hence why it does it so
well and is so reliable.

Powerline Networking suffers from noise, but as the signal is confined
to your homes circuit there is less chance of disruption from your
neighbour.

Wireless doesn't just suffer from noise and interference, there is
congestion to contend with too. When you are transferring data between
two devices over wireless you are sending to the access point then it
is sending to the other device. So any bandwidth you do have is being
halved straight away.

Then you have cheap wireless access points and routers (even devices
costing a lot can actually be cheap hardware with a nice shiny case)
that struggle to maintain a broadband connection, DHCP, NAT, firewall,
and multiple data streams at the same time. too much work and they will
start dropping packets, this is bad when it comes to streaming audio nd
video as once it's gone it's gone. When transferring a file the
computers can always ask for a packet to be re-sent.

I'm not trying to make excuses for your problems, just trying to
highlight the many variables that effect wireless networking :)

--
funkstar

'[project log] funkstars digital lifestyle'
(http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-lifestyle/179882-project-log-funkstars-digital-lifestyle.html)
- 'hexus.community' (http://forums.hexus.net/)

*in use:* *1*x touch, *1*x boom, *2*x sb3, *1*x controller
*in a box:* *1*x radio, *1*x (beta) controller, *1*x receiver, *1*x sb2
wired (silver), *1*x sb (black), *1*x slimp3 (with rear shield)

if you have any others, let me know, i'm interested!!