I could do that. But does the laptop then have two connections to the
router, one wireless, and one wired? If not I would have to stop the
music and close open files etc, then reconnect everything via the
wired, just to restart everything again when going back to the
wireless. Can be done, but frankly I may as well just turn the music
off when I transfer large files. Unfort I do transfer large amounts of
data a couple of times a week so a bit of a drag ..

Have taken a quick look at the powerline alternative. Seems for
compatibility you have to go for "homeplug" which is a max of 85mbps
which I guess is ok (better than wireless, but not the new N standard).
Have to say am getting bored of having to buy endless new electrical
widgets!

--
rbl