thx for the reply.  i think perhaps i could have expounded a bit to
avoid some misunderstanding, but i think we generally agree esp on the
big important points re: vision and direction.

erland;584009 Wrote:
> I think the audio market is big but you have to focus on it, something
> that Logitech really hasn't done during the last years. I can mention a
> lot of technical features added to the Squeezebox during the last years
> but I have a hard time to finding a lot of features that greatly
> improves the music discovery and listening experience.

imo, logitech should have three main pieces of hardware:

1. a player
2. a server
3. a combo of the two

they can come in different varieties, (boom, touch, duet and so on) BUT
the *base unit* for each should have no expensive displays or remotes or
any of that, just the box.

it should be possible to do each of the three for $100 or less in a
"base unit" config.  apple TV is just $99.  this would monitize the
server for units 2/3.

fancy remotes?  fancy touchscreen units?  those can be available, and
can cost more, but shouldn't be necessary!!!

now, in addition to that, they should have taken SP, which was already
well developed and existing, and ported it, to be SOLD, on iOS,
android, whathave you.  Pippin sells his, but logitech can't?  that
would have made SP worth it, b/c people would pay to keep getting it
developed, (SP would have been properly monitized).

and finally, the units 1 and 3 should ALWAYS have had the ability to do
video, and all 3 do DLNA, in addition to the slimproto.  people don't
necessarily want a TV on to LISTEN, but a lot of people do want the
OPTION to be able to operate the device visually VIA a TV, AND they
want ONE DEVICE, not several, to handle all the A/V.

the resistance to that common sense POV in this forum i think will be a
major factor in the ultimate demise of these devices.

most people are happy with terrible yet USABLE media adapters, like a
tivo or those wifi products out there to play A/V.  the idea that this
geeky, expensive, complex audio ONLY player hardware ONLY devices can
thrive is ludicrous.

erland;584009 Wrote:
> Most (but maybe not all) stationary video products out there are
> primarily focused on video and they are primarily focused on displaying
> the the video on a TV. I believe there are a lot of people out there
> that don't want their TV turned on just because they want to listen to
> music.

sure, but thats only one way of how they look at these solutions.  they
DO want a device that CAN work with the TV, (but not NEED to, as you
said).  they also want a device that can do BOTH audio and video.

i would love to use ipeng to control a SB, but also turn on the TV and
see SBS stuff on it, visualizations, art, etc...  i can imagine
listening to the radio guys do nfl games while i watch the game, and
switch to AV2 on the TV to make SB adjustments, that kind of thing.

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbrec & ipeng (parent's home) - sbs 7.5.2b - win
xp pro sp3 ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz, 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link
dir-655 - 45k+ mp3