MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:
> i disagree that the combo product NEEDS the display.  what i have been
> trying to say is NONE of my 3 product suggestions, for a base model
> unit, needs a display or a remote, or anything like that.  just a solid
> box with HQ audio/video outputs, and enough CPU power to not be slow.
>
> i think you have missed me saying that.  base unit = no expensive
> displays, no remotes, etc...
>
> how could they do that?  by making the box get an IP via DHCP and be
> webui accessible, and by having their own branded remote apps.  once
> upon a time you didn't need a SBC to setup a SBRec, SP could do it.
>
> i think they could do such a product for $199 easy.

I thought we were still talking about a device where you could select
and play music without a computer, if we are talking about a device
that needs a computer or an additional optional fancy remote the
situation is completely different.

Without any display on the device, you need a display somewhere else to
control it, either a computer or something else.

MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:

> why?  why couldn't they do all three?  it seems to me they have all 3
> now, but just done badly, but not done badly simply b/c they have all
> 3, but for other reasons.

Because they are very different, the combo unit gets too expensive with
the current architecture because the CPU/memory has to be able to handle
both the server part and the client part. However, something like the
current architecture is needed for the separate units (player and
server)

MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:

> i think like you said earlier, you could combine similar hardware of a
> sheevaplug with the SBRec, and get the $199 combo product.  ditch the
> stupid touchscreen, who sits right next to their stereo anyway?

The touch screen is useless, the color screen is excellent. None of my
Squeezeboxes have been as exiting to look at as the Touch color
screen.

MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:

> port SP or do an app from scratch, but to me, it is insane they have
> left this to others, while developing SBC, touch, etc...  the game of
> business isn't the margin alone, its overall profit.  smaller margins
> are good as long as the raw numbers are big enough.

To me it feels smart to make someone else do the work you can't earn
much money on yourself, especially if the person doing has more/better
experience and it will result in that Logitech's Squeezebox products
gets more attractive.

MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:

> no, but i enjoy the mental exercise of it.  who knows, maybe someone
> will take all this opensource stuff and make their own product based on
> these ideas.

Someone already has, the server product exists as a standalone product
in the form of Vortexbox.

The cheap version of a server could easily be offered with Sheevaplug
and the Squeezeplug software, they both exist so someone just have to
market it.

MrSinatra;584032 Wrote:

> see, again this is where we disagree.  i have been saying for a long
> time now it should be an audio AND video product, and have an "all in
> one" version.  i do think there is a hole for a product that does that
> well.
>
> TIVO is a great product, but currently is not good at music.  if it
> does ever get good at music, i think logitech would only then be able
> to compete with them by offering a low, one time price.  but TIVO is
> just one such product.

Could you mention one stationary video product that's good at audio ?
Could you mention one stationary audio product that's good at video ?

For portable devices it makes sense to mix audio and video because the
requirements on a portable device is a lot different than a stationary
device. For stationary products audio and video has very different use
cases.

A visualizer on the TV would be fun at some party situations and so
would the possibility to browse the music on the TV, but unless the
device also can play movies I wouldn't be willing to pay much for it.
AppleTV is really interesting IMHO to take this spot and anything that
likes to compete in this area needs to be cheaper than AppleTV or offer
a lot more functionality.

However, during normal usage I would prefer to browse my music on an
iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch or similar device. Only browsing on the TV
won't work for most people.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))