erland;584114 Wrote:
> I thought we were still talking about a device where you could select
> and play music without a computer, if we are talking about a device
> that needs a computer or an additional optional fancy remote the
> situation is completely different.
>
> Without any display on the device, you need a display somewhere else to
> control it, either a computer or something else.

exactly.  so if you have base units that NEED something else beyond
webui, you create demand for your own iwhatever remote apps.  thats
EXACTLY my point, and thus one reason why they should have one.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> Because they are very different, the combo unit gets too expensive with
> the current architecture because the CPU/memory has to be able to
> handle both the server part and the client part. However, something
> like the current architecture is needed for the separate units (player
> and server)

how can you say that when you just mentioned the sheevaplug?

i think you could use todays low cost yet powerful parts to combine a
full SBS server and a player like the SBRec and have it work well for
$199.  if not yet, surely soon enough.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> The touch screen is useless, the color screen is excellent. None of my
> Squeezeboxes have been as exiting to look at as the Touch color screen.

fine and you cold pay extra for that, np.  i am talking about base
units, and base units don't need, and should NOT have displays.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> To me it feels smart to make someone else do the work you can't earn
> much money on yourself, especially if the person doing has more/better
> experience and it will result in that Logitech's Squeezebox products
> gets more attractive.

thats the best counterpoint i've heard yet.  the problem to me though
is that logitech then has a missed opportunity cost in the form of lost
revenue by not leveraging their own IP that they already paid to
develop, be it SP or SBS.  but you make a good point nonetheless.  i
suppose its a question of aggressiveness, (businesswise).

erland;584114 Wrote:
> Someone already has, the server product exists as a standalone product
> in the form of Vortexbox.

but not the combo product.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> The cheap version of a server could easily be offered with Sheevaplug
> and the Squeezeplug software, they both exist so someone just have to
> market it.

agreed.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> Could you mention one stationary video product that's good at audio ?
> Could you mention one stationary audio product that's good at video ?

not really.  thats why i said "i do think there is a hole for a product
that does that well."

erland;584114 Wrote:
> For portable devices it makes sense to mix audio and video because the
> requirements on a portable device is a lot different than a stationary
> device. For stationary products audio and video has very different use
> cases.
>
> A visualizer on the TV would be fun at some party situations and so
> would the possibility to browse the music on the TV, but unless the
> device also can play movies I wouldn't be willing to pay much for it.
> AppleTV is really interesting IMHO to take this spot and anything that
> likes to compete in this area needs to be cheaper than AppleTV or offer
> a lot more functionality.

exactly, ergo COMBO standalone product.  thats what i am talking
about.

why would anyone, (except those who dislike apple stuff), get a SB when
they can get an apple TV that will work with their apple remote and
itunes AND do movies!?  apple TVs only drawbacks are that in some usage
cases you need a computer on, and that it is an apple product.  other
than that, it smashes logitech.

the hole is for a non-apple, standalone product, that can do what apple
TV does and more.  thats the combo product i am proposing.

erland;584114 Wrote:
> However, during normal usage I would prefer to browse my music on an
> iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch or similar device. Only browsing on the TV
> won't work for most people.

agreed.  i never said "only."

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbrec & ipeng (parent's home) - sbs 7.5.2b - win
xp pro sp3 ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz, 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link
dir-655 - 45k+ mp3