erland;593776 Wrote:
> It's so frustrating to read reviews like this when you realize that if
> those broadcasting companies just were interested in taking my money
> and providing me with the service I want, we could get a really nice TV
> experience. In the next second you realize that this is not going to
> happen any time soon, because in the same way as the music and movie
> industry they are so stuck in their old fashion business models that
> they can't see the possibilities.

Well, since I work for a Broadcast TV station....

It's all very complicated and ugly.  What do you do about the local
affiliates... broadcast TV is paid for with advertisers, some are
national, some are local.  If ABC puts something online, then the local
affiliate (and the local advertisers) are cut out of the picture.  And
perhaps I'm odd, but I sometimes like local ads.  (We have a local
hardware store that has absolutely brilliant ads...)

If local TV vanishes because everyone is getting network shows off the
'net, then where does the Local News come from?   Networks aren't going
to care about why one local electric utility has not one, or two, but
THREE rate increases scheduled for the next year...   Or who the new
mayor is, etc.

I'm personally more interested in what is happening locally than
whether some sheik is having wild sex parties or wasting 40 minutes of
60 Minutes gabbing about Facebook changing what profile pages look
like...

The danger I see is the reverse of your fear: Television will become
like Radio: catering to the lowest common denominator.  Why bother with
quality expensive-to-produce shows when you can make more money with the
Justin Bieber Christmas Special and other garbage.  You don't need to
fill out 3 hours of prime time any more: just have a slew of pablum,
and let people watch Bieber 3 times a night.

It may look like freedom to choose what you watch, but the Giant Media
Conglomerates will determine your choices.  Your choice will be "That
Which Is Profitable".  Independence is out the window: if it can't get
a million views it's not worth it.

It will be Radio of the 80's all over again, except marketed as choice.

--
snarlydwarf