On 12/09/2010 01:45 PM, snarlydwarf wrote:
> Well, since I work for a Broadcast TV station....
>
> It's all very complicated and ugly.  What do you do about the local
> affiliates... broadcast TV is paid for with advertisers, some are
> national, some are local.

The local TV broadcasters are toast. Their franchise (monopoly) is based
on old technology, and its simply being replaced. As is the whole
concept of a TV network or that House shows on Monday at 8PM.

> If local TV vanishes because everyone is getting network shows off the
> 'net, then where does the Local News come from?

Sorry, that argument doesn't fly. For decades, all that is on local TV
news is crime and fires, then weather and sports. There is no shortage
of places to get weather and sports, and we don't need constant drum
beat of blood feeding fear.

> The danger I see is the reverse of your fear: Television will become
> like Radio: catering to the lowest common denominator.

Rather, Broadcast TV is dead. It lived a good and long life.

> It may look like freedom to choose what you watch, but the Giant Media
> Conglomerates will determine your choices.  Your choice will be "That
> Which Is Profitable".  Independence is out the window: if it can't get
> a million views it's not worth it.
>
> It will be Radio of the 80's all over again, except marketed as choice.

Yes, but we have been very close to that for at least a decade.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/