exile;593793 Wrote:
> with all due respect snarlydwarf, I think you're wrong.

You can think what you want... people want local news and information.
You're not going to see that from Hulu or Youtube or iTunes.

> i too work in the television business. i'm an editor of tv shows.
> People want easy access to media. The itunes store has proven that. So
> now we are moving from music to video due to technological
> advancements. There's simply no point in trying to fight the
> inevitable. Ease of use dictates what will be the future.

Ease of use?  I think you're very wrong there.  Content is what people
want, not "I'll watch Desperate Housewives because it's easy."

(And I don't believe ITMS is a good thing: it promotes the Justin
Biebers of the world, not innovation or talent.  Homogenization is
great for keeping milk safe, it is horrible for culture.)

(To be clear, I don't work in the TV business per se... I work for a TV
broadcaster, but I do networking and never touch video unless it's an
m4v in a <video> element...)

> as soon as someone makes a Hulu type product that allows viewers to
> easily pick what they want to watch when they want to watch it and on
> whatever tv they want to watch it on then it is as good as done.

And as soon as someone convinces content producers that is a good
business model.  Most people do not want to pay 99c to watch an episode
of CSI.  Do the math and for all the complaints about "omg cable costs
so much", well, it would cost a ton more if you paid per show, and you
can bet you will either have to do that, or you will not be allowed to
FFWD through ads.

The content will be paid for somehow or it will simply not exist.

The most bland content will be promoted.  Steve Jobs will tell us all
how he is protecting us from danger by avoiding any controversy, and
the American public (and probably the rest of the world...) will be
happy because they never have to see programming that will make them
think.

> The old model of letting some giant conglomerate tell me when and where
> i can watch my entertainment and at the same time charging me a fortune
> for that dictatorship is nearly dead.

I don't see that as being the current state: you can either watch
broadcast TV, where you do NOT get to choose when a show is aired, but
the content is subsidized by ads, or you can get cable where it is a
mix, or various on demand services from Dish/Comcast/Netflix where you
can choose when things are shown but pay a premium for that....

I have no idea what "dictatorship" you are talking about where you are
simultaneously paying for content -and- have no choice about viewing
time unless you're talking about PPV sporting events.

> local programming will survive just like movies survived tv and
> videotape and later dvd's. i could care less if i watch local
> programming on the web or through a cable box or rabbit ears.

Except if your dollars all go to network... and not to the local
station, then you will not get local programming.

> the core problem is that people are always afraid of change and I think
> sadly for those that work at local tv stations, the old model of local
> tv will have to change radically. i'm kinda shocked that local tv still
> cranks out the amount of programming that it does. I'm in san francisco
> so we have 4 local channels doing at least 3 newscasts a day. talk
> about overkill.

This is a MUCH smaller market and we have 4 TV stations, 3 of which
have morning, evening and 11pm news, one has just a 10pm news.

> the broadcast model is changing in a revolutionary way and thank god
> for it. bring on freedom of choice.

I think you're wrong about choice.  You will have LESS choice.   Your
choices will be based on "what sells nationally" not what sells
locally.

Time to listen to "Won't Be Fooled Again".

--
snarlydwarf