pippin;664823 Wrote:
> The problem here is that you can't really "control" DLNA devices with a
> phone or something similar. That's why everybody who has good remote
> control develops their own thing.
>
> DLNA needs the control point to be either on the server or on the
> renderer, in any case it needs to be permanently on and in permanent
> control of your streams. It's just not feasible on a WiFi device.
Thanks for the reply pippin!
If you by controlling DLNA devices mean that the AV Receiver can't
truly and FULLY be controlled, I am perfectly happy using e.g. the
Yamaha remote to turn it on or off, and choose which input to use.
That's basically what I do today, actually I don't even have a remote
for my Amp, that's how old it is...

But once it's on, a DLNA control point should be able to detect and
control it to the extent it is controllable by DLNA standards. And by
the way, DLNA does not require the controller to be either in the
server or the renderer, it can be a third device... In fact in the case
of a Phone or Tablet, that is a very likely use.
I assume you are aware of how things work on e.g. PlugPlayer where it
detects the Server and Renderer and controls both. I choose which media
to stream from the server and I choose which renderer/player to
view/hear it on. If a player is not on, it is greyed out of course.
I can control Volume up/down on my TV today, when viewing a video from
my server (Twonky) or Internet based content (YouTube) for example. I
can do ff/rew to some extent depending on server I use. Actually for
Video I think DLNA is still not working to the extent I would like.
Basically it's a codec issue where e.g. my TV is only doing the minimum
of what DLNA stipulates (in Sony's case it does only Mpeg2 and h.264).
Pictures work fine since jpeg is more or less universal. Music works
since mp3 is in the standard and most servers have the horsepower to
transcode if required.

But basically for a "simple" task like listening to music, the Yamaha
player only needs to be controlled in terms of which Source (stream) to
play and the Volume I assume. The rest is up to the server, as I guess
it's done today albeit proprietary.
Or is crossfading for example done at the squeezeplayer or is it
happening in the server, or both even?

In any case, what I am thinking then is that with LMS and in your case
iPeng, one could actually do some kind of Hybrid. Basically controlling
what can/needs to be controlled using DLNA on the Player side (my
perhaps to be Yamaha Receiver). And on the server side keep doing what
you already do so well today, inkluding any and all extras like
searching on the internet, viewing the album art etc! Weather this is
done the DLNA way or the Squeezebox way is not really relevant as long
as LMS is able to serve the stream...
BUT, perhaps some DLNA "controlling" is needed also on the server side,
I don't know though. I could guess that when changes happen in the
stream that the server may have to do certain checks and acks towards
the player maby? But I don't know DLNA at all from that perspective to
really say...

What concerns WiFi, I don't thinkt it is much of a limitation in this
area though. Except that it may introduce some lag and other
connectivity related issues. But that I have already today with
Squeezebox Duet, like when the controller loses connection to the
server and has to search for a little while. Which may be a slight
problem when the phone rings and you want to lower the volume or pause
the music quickly... ;)

--
Gblenn