maggior wrote:
> I read "3" and thought "uh, that's the Boom", but then I realized you
> meant something you can connect your own speakers too.  In the world of
> powered speakers, would that really be necessary.  Somebody that is
> inclined to buy their own passive speakers would also be inclined to buy
> their own amplification.  Maybe I'm wrong.About 90% of speakers made and sold
> through your usual "consumer
electronics" retailers are passive. The only active speakers most people
have easy access to are the cheap ones that are sold for computers.
Three of the four Sonos systems I have seen were professionally
installed multi-room setups with speakers mounted high up on walls or
built in to the ceiling. These need amplification and it made the
installation a lot simpler to use amplified Sonos boxes.

> I'm amazed that Sonos has jumped ahead of Logitech with this.  Logitech
> had a huge head start and certainly the brand power to see it through.
> It upsets me when I go to my local department store (Target) and see a
> large prominent Sonos display.  Sonos is also so expensive!!Totally agree!
> Mind you most of the people I know who have bought Sonos
don't really have to worry about money!  I remember talking to one and
said that I had gone for Squeezebox partly because Sonos was so
expensive.  She looked at me as though I was mad "no it isn't, its
really cheap!" was her reply.  After further interrogation it turned out
that she had also asked her installer to quote for a Linn based wired
multi-room system that was going to cost about £20,000!  So £2,000 for a
couple of Sonos boxes and some wall mounted speakers sounded cheap to
her. The Sonos installation was after all only for their weekend
"cottage" in Suffolk so she was not looking for sonic perfection...

When I told her that my Squeezeboxes plugged into my existing hi-fi
setup and cost a total of less than £400 she looked at me as if I had
just suggested she should ditch Harvey Nichols and start buying her
clothes at Primark!! (you have to be English to understand the
implications of that...)