JJZolx wrote:

> I'd have to ask: How would this system complement my existing Squeezebox
> infrastructure and investment? If it's completely independent of it,
> then I fail to see much appeal.)

Correct, unless you can load custom firmware to your existing
Squeezeboxes and make them work with the new system.
Based on my own experience, I know this is reasonable on the
Touch/Radio, but it's probably going to be a bit more complex on the
older devices.

Also, obviously it only makes sense to do a completely new system if the
new system can be sold to the masses, if you plan to only sell a few
hundred devices you should just base the solution on
LMS/mysqueezebox.com.

JJZolx wrote:

> My understanding is that as far as copyright issues are concerned, the
> only thing prevented would be the re-distribution of Squeezebox
> firmware. Which seems like a minor concern when you consider that the
> firmware for older Squeezeboxes is no longer being updated and new
> firmware for SqueezePlay devices is downloaded on the fly. As far as
> codecs are concerned: is Logitech actually licensing any of the
> distributed software? They don't even distribute LAME with the server
> for MP3 encoding.
>
>From my memory, the copyright/re-distribution issues are at least:
- Player firmware
- All artwork (buttons, icons, logos and similar things)
- Windows installer (I think it's copyrighted to Logitech, but the
reason for that is probably mainly because they don't have permission to
let anyone else redistribute it)
- exe binaries for Windows (I think you need the OEM version of
ActiveState Perl, not sure what it costs)
- I think someone also mentioned that some codecs were a problem, don't
remember which ones
- I'm not sure about the license status of the Windows control panel
applet.

You can choose to ignore the legal issues and my guess is that Logitech
probably won't care unless you do something that hurts their business.
If you are lucky the companies owning the rights for codecs, Windows
installer and exe binaries for perl won't notice you are breaking their
license. If they do care, you could end up in legal trouble, but I guess
someone doing it would have to make a judgement if it's worth the risk
or not. As long as you only distribute it to geeks you are probably
fine, if you distribute it to all Squeezebox users and advertise it, the
risk of getting caught becomes a bit bigger.

Making a completely legal fork is going to be a bit of work, especially
if you like to satisfy Windows users.
Andy mentioned in some thread that building all the CPAN perl modules on
Windows can be a bit of a challenge, so except for the above I suspect
this will introduce another complexity if you like to keep CPAN modules
updated and satisfy Windows users. The svn/git version works because
Logitech have already pre-built the CPAN binaries and commited them to
svn/git.