dustinsterk wrote:
> We could have two versions of the product:
> 1)  A 'DIY' device which would be cheaper and require the user to load
> the software.
> 2)  A 'Ready to Go' version which includes the licensing costs and is a
> little more expensive.

I suspect:
- The people who is able to use the DIY device are those who don't have
an issue with a higher price (geeks don't care if it costs a bit as long
as it's cool :-) )
- The people who isn't able to use the DIY device is likely those who
want a lower price

So I would just focus on either the DIY device and ignore people who
can't install it or focus only on the consumer device and hope to get
more customers and make the licensing costs less of a problem. If I've
understood it correctly, you would have to pay the minimum $15 000 for
the MP3 license before you sell the first device, so you need to ensure
you have funding for this if you want to do the "Ready to Go" device, if
you only sell 100 of them the first year the MP3 license adds
$150/device, so you need to ensure you have packaged it in a nice case
so it can sell more than hundred devices per year.