erland wrote:
> From my memory, the copyright/re-distribution issues are at least:
> - Player firmware
> - All artwork (buttons, icons, logos and similar things)
> - Windows installer (I think it's copyrighted to Logitech, but the
> reason for that is probably mainly because they don't have permission to
> let anyone else redistribute it)
> - exe binaries for Windows (I think you need the OEM version of
> ActiveState Perl, not sure what it costs)
> - I think someone also mentioned that some codecs were a problem, don't
> remember which ones
> - I'm not sure about the license status of the Windows control panel
> applet.

Ok. Yeah, there are some obstacles there.

- Player firmware. As stated previously, not really a concern.

- Artwork. If SqueezePlay isn't used, then this would only be in the web
UI. Drop in replacements wouldn't be hard to create for a decent graphic
artist.

- Windows Installer. Another could be created. Probably one that is much
faster.

- EXE for Windows. Yes, if we wanted to recreate this, the ActiveState
SDK would need to be purchased and licensing (if needed) would have to
be explored. Or, require users to install the free ActiveState Perl
interpreter and run the Perl code. For a project like this, that's not
unreasonable.

- Windows Control Panel. Not necessary. IIRC, the only thing it does
that can't easily be done otherwise, is install/uninstall SBS as a
Windows service. That functionality could be incorporated into the
Windows installer, and you could just have users re-run the installer.

If there are codecs that require licensing, whether or not a player is
based on SBS will make no difference. How does a player like Squeezelite
deal with this?