pippin wrote:
> They do license a lot for the players.
> There are two aspects here:
> Software licenses (probably for mp3, WMA, and AAC) and patent fees (at
> least mp3 and WMA, not sure about AAC). Both come with a fixed minimum
> cost that makes them prohibitive at low volumes.

For those interested:
MP3: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/hardware.html
AAC: http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/aac-fees.aspx
WMA: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/licensing/final.aspx

Or in summary (if my interpretation is correct), the minimum fees are:
MP3: $5 000/year as minimum
AAC: $1 000 initial setup (http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=10328.0)
WMA: Not sure what the $400 000 number means, feels like way too much as
an annual fee.

So basically, the alternatives are one of:
- Make a DIY device and let the user assemble it and avoid the license
issues
- Base the device on hardware where the hardware manufacturer already
pays the necessary codec/patent licenses.
- Hope that nobody notice that you are violating licenses (might be
reasonable if you only plan to sell 500 devices and doesn't advertise it
much)
- Sell to the masses
- Focus on OGG/FLAC and avoid codecs/patents which requires a license.