JJZolx wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I see little reason to build a
> displayless SB replacement without an internal DAC and analog out.
> Otherwise, the only thing it such a device might have over the current
> DIY solutions built on PCs with USB output is a high quality S/PDIF
> out.
>
> I would see the necessary I/O as:
>
> - analog L/R
> - optical S/PDIF
> - coax S/PDIF
> - USB
> - ethernet
> - wifi
+1

Everybody who reads these forums is an "enthusiast", but few are
"geeks".  Most of us could cope with buying a box and following some
step-by-step instructions to install a pre-packaged linux distro and
software player (similar to the Vortexbox project) but that would be
about the limit.

Remember some of us have wives and an ugly "Pogoplug" device with a
totally uncoordinated USB DAC hanging off the back won't cut the "decor"
mustard.  Ideally the thing should be at least passably attractive and
small enough to be nearly invisible anyway.

We were prepared to pay £150/$200+ for our Squeezeboxes so we can afford
this for a replacement, so a $30 player is unnecessarily cheap!  Most
would be prepared to pay an extra £100 in order not to have to spend 30
hours making several attempts at "hacking" linux to get the thing to
work!

Most stereo "hi-fi" amps do not have integrated DACs so the device will
definitely need a DAC, but it only needs to be as good as the Receiver
or Touch. If you want better you can buy a hi-fi DAC (as opposed to a
computer audio DAC).

I really like the look of the CuBox:
http://www.solid-run.com/products/cubox

In design terms it is so nearly there.  Add a halfway decent audio chip
and it would be a done deal for me if you could download pre-packaged
software to go on it.