Ever since I got my first Sony Walkman as a kid in the 1980ies, one
would almost never see me in public without headphones. I went through
the whole evolution of mobile music players: several Walkmen, later
Discmen, I even had a Minidisc once. In the late 1990ies I got myself a
Rio PMP 300 and got introduced to the lossy world of MP3s. After several
MP3 players I started using my mobile phones for that purpose, first
Nokia, later Android phones. Finally, streaming services. But a few
years ago, I stopped with the casual listening of music everywhere and
started a more 'serious' habit of dedicated listening at home (unearthed
my vinyl collection and ripped all my CDs to FLAC).

For some time now my work life requires extensive travel by train (1+
hours trips) and frequent overnight stays at hotels. Unhappy with the
sound quality of my mobile, I first bought a Fiio Alpen E17 DAC and
started using my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro from home. This was fine,
but a bit unhandy, since disk space is very limited (FLAC, remember?).
Also, always starting up my laptop seems unpractical. So I did some
digging and decided, that I am unwilling to pay fantasy prices for one
of these fancy new lossless players out there (Fiio, Astell & Kern).
Luckily, I stumbled upon Rockbox, an open source alternative firmware
for MP3 players. I still have an old Philips GoGear HDD6320 player,
which I didn't use anymore, because it only supports MP3 and WMA and
only works with Windows Media Player (moved to Linux ages ago). So I
installed Rockbox on it, which supports FLAC, and filled the 30 GB
storage with some of my music. Now I hook the Fiio DAC with my
Beyerdynamic to it and am completely happy while travelling and staying
in hotels :)

Long story short: What is your mobile setup and what are your
experiences with it?

- *ASRock Ion 330* (home office) w/ Xubuntu 14.04.1 LTS + LMS 7.9,
  FLAC > Local Player > Behringer MS 40 active nearfield monitors via
  toslink
- *Boom* (master bedroom), *Radio* (master bathroom), *Archos 35 Home
  Connect* + SqueezePlayer (guest bathroom)
- *Reson PR 80s* as UPnP client (living room) > Parasound DAC 1500 >
  vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (w/ 42E equalizer, 42T tape deck, and
  Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II
- *Duet* + *Radio* in storage