bishopdonmiguel;162663 Wrote:
> Wow, that looks really, really good.  Does this thing just work or do
> you have to continually update it?  Looks like a real bear to setup
> though.  The guide says you have to buy some special game title to get
> this working.  That could be an obstacle.

It took me approx 2 hours to do the setup, and was actually quite
painless. If you're smart enough to have a home network, you can do
this. That guide is spot on with everything you need to know.

You are correct that you have to find a special game title, and that
probably was the biggest effort. I found one that worked by searching
Craigslist for people selling xbox games. I found a guy selling a bunch
of titles including Mechassault. I emailed him and asked him if he could
check the part number on the laser etching of the CD (the gameboy
immediately knew what I was up to). It matched, and I bought it from
him for $15.

Post-setup, I can't really see needing to ever do an update. There just
aren't any functions that I'm wishing it had that it doesn't already do
marvelously. I suppose I wished it did HD and had DVR capabilities, but
I'm not sure either of those are within the scope of this product.

Big pros of XBMC:
boots in about 10 seconds (!!!)
streams absolutely anything I throw at it
will stream data from my linux server (via samba shares)
plays music from my server
views photos with cool slideshow effects
will play DVDs that have been shrunk to iso files, including support
for DVD menus (!!!)
very, very customizable

other features:
plays movie trailers from apple.com
RSS feed viewer
some kind of online game system, Kai (could care less about this)

cons:
xboxes are loud (though xbmc has settings for ramping down the fan
speed, which helps)
no HD
no DVR

cheers,