Peter;172348 Wrote:
> Perhaps someone changed the squeezebox firmware to allow this. If Ramage
>
> wants to make sure the traffic between the SB and the slimserver is not
>
> going over the wireless interface (twice) he could try switching off
> the
> WAP. If it still works then the traffic obviously stays on the wired
> network.

Well yes, if you turned off the bridging function and went with the
wired interface it would work perfectly, but you could then not access
the NAS from a PC and you also couldn't get Internet/SqueezeNetwork
access.

Perhaps I'm confused at what the wireless bridge functionality really
does in a Squeezebox then.  I thought it merely dumbly passed all
traffic coming from the wired interface out to the wireless interface
for the router to deal with.  If it sifts through the incoming wired
traffic looking for packets destined for itself, it's acting more like
a router than a wireless bridge, right?  It would be great if it did
that, but then it's not acting as a wireless bridge.  Also if there's
no SlimServer on the wired interface it's a waste of resources as there
will never be any traffic destined for it.  So I suspect it does not do
this.

Traffic coming over the wireless interface is a little easier to
understand - if it sees traffic destined for itself it processes it, if
it sees traffic destined for the bridged device it passes it down the
wired interface without processing it.

--
Mark Lanctot

"It's like, you know, a New Age religion, but with better treble
response." - Jon Heal