Hamlet;191572 Wrote:
> I'm a bit unclear on this issue: where exactly is the speed bottleneck?
> You can connect the squeezebox to either the slimserver running on the
> NAS or to a slimserver running on a pc (still your music is on the
> NAS). By connecting to the server on the pc, do you overcome the speed
> issue because the slowness is due to the server itself being run on the
> NAS, or not, because the slowness is due to slow access to the files on
> the NAS?

I think the main issue is that some (most?) NAS devices have only
enough computing grunt to be able to pick a file off the disc and serve
it to the network, which is after all what they were designed for.
Running a relational database and PERL is a bit tougher, especially on
memory but also pure CPU.

Ceejay

--
ceejay