On 06-10-2008 6:47 AM, Andre Schnabel wrote:
Btw: I already told some points that we need to define, before we can vote on
your proposal. I think it would take along time to discuss this here on the
list(s). Maybe we can set up an IRC meeting for interested people?

Here's a point from a complete outsider who, as someone who's been involved in developing by-laws for various community groups (actually in my local physical community), who has an interest in the OOo project and would like to see it Live Long And Prosper:

So much about OOo is geared to programmers. Using IRC to discuss "community" issues is a prime example. IRC, while it does have advantages over other communication methods (as far as I understand it) requires:

-- a software client most people do not have installed on their computers

-- knowledge of how to find the right server and get on the right channel

-- understanding of all the lingo, commands, etc

If OOo's Council (and other OOo groups) truly want to provide broad accessibility to the masses of folks interested in participating (for I do believe that a mass of interested people does exist) you must move, IMO, *away from IRC*. Use AIM servers and typical chat clients.

I know Cors and others here will say, well, too bad, a lot of folks manage to figure out how to use IRC. But that's not the point, since you all are talking about involving more folks who do *not* participate. I can offer myself as an example. Like most nonprogrammers in the world, I've not *ever* used IRC. I tried once, installed a client, but had no idea whatsoever what I was supposed to do after that. Googled up a few pages on the web to look for instructions and realized this is something that actually requires knowledge of what commands to type in to join or leave chats, very weird to most folks who are just used to joining chat rooms with AIM etc., and who simply close the window to leave a chat. After an hour or so of trying to figure out how to use IRC, I gave up for lack of time and interest.

The only folks who think IRC is a universal communications tool are old-timers and programmers.

I'm being frank but do not mean any disrespect.

kazar