So I got access to the CF Admin this morning and between that and Profiler I can see what is causing my issue and can resolve.  Thanks for everyone's help once again.  It was a comination of advice that got me to this point.

Now I was wondering if anyone could tell me why this issue is happening to try and avoid/combat it in the future.

When I add a new record to the db I immediately pull that id back out with this query:

SET  ROWCOUNT 1
     SELECT id
     FROM table
     ORDER BY id DESC

This seems to set the rowcount for ALL queries after this one.  When I uncheck "Maintain connections across client requests" it works fine, but as long as the box is checked the 'rowcount' remains one for all requests to this db.

Can anyone give a brief explaination of the 'why' for me on this.

thanks for all the help,
Jeff