There are a number of different configurations relying either on a custom OS that runs VMWare or VMWare installations on top of Windows, RedHat, MacOS X, etc. For the base OS, I'd choose whatever you're most comfortable with running on a regular basis, hardening, maintaining, etc.

Generally I run it on a Mac or XP host and then have a number of VMs I use. In fact, at work I use this for classes, demos, etc., because it can always be reset back to its original state. So no matter how badly it gets hacked up, it restarts in a fresh & pristine state the next time I roll back to the snapshot. Fun stuff. I know others who use VMs to research malware and keep it off of their base OS.

I still wish I could make VMs of MacOS... someday perhaps.

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CISSP,  CEH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"[T]he people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
    --Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremberg Trials