Also oracle just jumped on the virtualization market. Looks like everything
is going that direction. The VMware server product is very slick.
I mean I use a host that basically does what dean described to roll out new
virtual servers which you can put any OS on and run it however you want. I
think that in the future we'll carry around little wireless devices
(probably built by google) that will basically be a web access point and not
have any actual fat client on it... all web based and virtual. I know this
was big about 10-12 years ago with the "go to my pc" type of thing but, I
think we are finally getting to the point where it will become a reality.
Especially with Android and AIR...

-steven

On Dec 30, 2007 12:22 PM, Dean H. Saxe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Its just not possible, afaik.  Apple doesn't want the OS on virtual
> machines, although I believe Parallels, another VM company, is working on
> it.
> -dhs
>

> Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> "What difference does it make to the dead,  the orphans, and the homeless,
> whether the  mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or
> the holy name of  liberty and democracy? "
>     --Gandhi
>

> On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Douglas Knudsen wrote:
>
> cool.  I've been using it for testing. For instance, my host environment
> is Vista which has IE7 and no IE6.  I run a XP Pro VM with IE6 with a
> userland type install, ie flash player production not debug.  IE6 and IE7
> behave a little different with respect to Flash and the debug flash player
> is a wee diff from prod version at times.  I also have a Ubuntu VM for
> playing with a modern linux flavor.  I say modern because I used to be a
> slackware fan :)
>
> VMWare is really easy to use too.
>
> Dean, curious why you can't make VMs of Mac OS?  You mean earlier pre OS
> X?  Yeah, me no apple groupie ;)
>
> DK
>
> On Dec 30, 2007 11:20 AM, Dean H. Saxe < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Yup, that's essentially what we do for classes.  Every student runs a
> > VM in VMWare Player.  All of the dev tools, Tomcat, etc are set up and
> > configured to run properly out of the box.
> >
> > -dhs
> >

> > Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak
> > minds."
> >     --Einstein
> >

> > On Dec 30, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Cameron Childress wrote:
> >
> > > I've actually heard of people considering creating a VMWare instance,
> > > setting it up for development on a specific project and pushing it out
> > > to a development team so they can start working immediately.
> > > Depending on the host setup, it would be an interesting way to get a
> > > large contractor team up and running with very little
> > > configuration/setup required.  Just CFEclipse, FlexBuilder & CF8
> > > multiinstance can take an hour or two to get installed and setup right
> >
> > > from scratch, more for some if they are unfamiliar with the setup
> > > process.
> > >
> > > -Cameron

> > > --
> > > Cameron Childress
> > > Sumo Consulting Inc
> > > http://www.sumoc.com
> > > ---
> > > cell:  678.637.5072
> > > aim:   cameroncf
> > > email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> --
> Douglas Knudsen
> http://www.cubicleman.com
> this is my signature, like it?

Steven Ross
web application & interface developer
http://blog.stevensross.com
[mobile] 404-488-4364 [fax] 267-482-4364
[ AIM / Yahoo! : zeriumsteven ] [googleTalk : nowhiding ]