Ajas, I tried your code and things worked as expected on both FF and Chrome
on CF 7 and 8, but on IE (7), the regex would not work even if a correct
value was entered the first time, so this is not about "that once the alert
is displayed, even if the user corrects the error and enters a strong
password, the error alert does not go away." It just doesn't work at all.

I'm no regex expert, but I can at least confirm that when I entered
123456uU, it worked, when I left off the trailing U, it failed (and in FF
and Chrome, correcting that did then pass).

I saw the later note from Teddy proposing some known bug with lookahead in
regex. Again, I leave that for you or others to explore, but I wanted to put
out at least this observation about how you were seeing the error, and also
how it's limited to IE.

Along the same lines, I'll suggest that with any such attempt to get
something working, it's best to have a simplified example that does just
want you're interested in. It not only helps you focus your challenge (and
sometimes helps show that a problem is something other than what you
thought, though not in this case), but it also helps others to more quickly
validate something you're having a problem with. I used this code:

<cfform preservedata="Yes">

     <cfinput type="password" name="new_password"
validate="regular_expression"
pattern="^(?=.*\d)(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z]).{8,}$"
validateat="onBlur,onSubmit,onServer" message="Your password is not strong.
Your password should be atleast 8 characters long, consiting of one Upper
case and one Lower case and one Number." >

                <input type="Submit">

</cfform>

<cfif request_method is "post">

                Password: <cfoutput>#form.new_password#</cfoutput>

</cfif>

The preservedata (one of the little hidden gems with CFFORM added in CF 7)
will keep the value entered from one submission to the next, FWIW.

/charlie