Sorry for the confusion. My point is that even though the server does perform
validation, it does so only at the command of the client (hidden field).
Effectively, it is therefore still client side validation. I believe it gives a
false sense of security (to myself included) since it's so easily bypassed by
anyone with some basic tools, so I'm glad Dean pointed it out. Because he wrote
that he wasn't 100% sure, I decided to test it and share my code. I didn't mean
to convey any sort of concern about the absence/presence of hidden form fields.

Do you think in theory CF could provide true server side validation without
relying on hidden form fields? My guess would be "yes in a fairly reliable
fashion", but I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on that...

Hope that makes sense.
/m

: Mischa, I'm curious what you're getting at here. Perhaps I missed part of
: what was being traded, but I was actually surprised by the assertion Dean
: made (that you repeated). CFInput does NOT *always* use a hidden field to
: force server-side validation. It only does that if you ask it to, using the
: ValidateAt="onserver", as you show. If you don't specify that, it doesn't
: add any hidden fields.

: Or are you guys making a different point, about what it is that CF does
: create as that hidden field when you ask it to (using that attribute)?

: I'm just trying to understand that, and also your subject line, which seems
: to be asserting yet something different (that it's only client side).

: Help us out. It may just be me that's confused. :-)

: /charlie