Yes, it's not quite clear whether you're responding to things Shane or I
said, Jeremy.

Just to be clear, I too was never arguing that client-side validation
provided any security. It was the outlash against it--because it didn't help
with that--which I was arguing against. As you say, it's valuable for user
convenience and to save round trips, and that was my only contention. In
other words, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And few would argue with the assertion that "validating the incoming data
and protecting against incoming injection attacks is not all that difficult
if you do it properly from the start." But Shane made a good point about how
sometimes we can only propose what should be done. We can't always dictate
what must be done.

And for that reason, I'd argue that at least some client validation would be
better than none at all. Sure, it won't stop a determined hacker, but
really, not much will. But not everyone has something really valuable to
protect. And like you guys have said, there's a sliding scale or the cost of
protection against the value of the assets.

Still, we could all definitely stand to know far more about the risks and
the solutions, so that we can make informed decisions. And for that, we're
really fortunate to have Dean Saxe on hand to keep us on our toes! :-) I
really don't  mean by any of my comments here to diminish the value and
importance of the kind of security consulting he offers.