I always tell folks that client side validation is meant to save round
trips to your server and improve your user experience. It has, in
practice, a zero impact on the real security of your application. It
will not defeat an attacker, even a script kiddie. We also advocate a
risk based approach to security (e.g. don't spend $1,000,000 to
protect a $10,000 asset). The real point here is that it is not a
security feature and never will be a security feature as long as the
user has control over the client, and that is not changing in a
significant way for the foreseeable time to come in the web
application market.

I will step out on a limb here and state that only the smallest and
tiniest concept type applications can afford to skip out on the data
validation aspect of their application. Validating the incoming data
and protecting against incoming injection attacks is not all that
difficult if you do it properly from the start. In fact it probably
makes your applications more stable by preventing situations where
your input does not match with what the database can handle, etc.
Things like input validation are not really on a sliding scale of user
convenience and or cost like many security features. You can do it
quickly and properly while enhancing the stability of your
application.

On the other hand things like password complexity there is a sliding
scale of convenience where the more complex the passwords are the less
likely users are to deal with it properly, if at all. So you must
balance the convenience factor to your users while still maintaining
an acceptable level of risk for the application. In some cases, say
for a banking app, that level of acceptable risk is incredibly low. In
something like a social networking app that risk is quite a bit
higher. So there are some things that are debatable and other things
you should just do :)

Jeremy