From: ad...@acfug.org [mailto:ad...@acfug.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Allen
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 6:45 PM
To: discussion@acfug.org
Subject: Re: [ACFUG Discuss] over-stating security concerns? (was RE:
ValidateAt parameter is effectively only client side )

I always tell folks that client side validation is meant to save round trips
to your server and improve your user experience. It has, in practice, a zero
impact on the real security of your application. It will not defeat an
attacker, even a script kiddie. We also advocate a risk based approach to
security (e.g. don't spend $1,000,000 to protect a $10,000 asset). The real
point here is that it is not a security feature and never will be a security
feature as long as the user has control over the client, and that is not
changing in a significant way for the foreseeable time to come in the web
application market.

I will step out on a limb here and state that only the smallest and tiniest
concept type applications can afford to skip out on the data validation
aspect of their application. Validating the incoming data and protecting
against incoming injection attacks is not all that difficult if you do it
properly from the start. In fact it probably makes your applications more
stable by preventing situations where your input does not match with what
the database can handle, etc.
Things like input validation are not really on a sliding scale of user
convenience and or cost like many security features. You can do it quickly
and properly while enhancing the stability of your application.

On the other hand things like password complexity there is a sliding scale
of convenience where the more complex the passwords are the less likely
users are to deal with it properly, if at all. So you must balance the
convenience factor to your users while still maintaining an acceptable level
of risk for the application. In some cases, say for a banking app, that
level of acceptable risk is incredibly low. In something like a social
networking app that risk is quite a bit higher. So there are some things
that are debatable and other things you should just do :)

Jeremy

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Shane <studio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This argument revolves around money - which is a point of view few
> programmers ever take into consideration.  What is best for the owner?
>
> Charlie is correct - the need for security varies.  How does it vary?
> Based on a risk / reward ratio that has to be chosen by the business
> owner.  Our job is to communicate to the business managers what the
> risks are and what the costs are.  Do you want to spend xx dollars to
> mitigate this risk or would you prefer to take an approximately xx%
> chance that this bad thing will happen in order to save $xx upfront
> development costs.  I tend to argue on the side of more security but
> the final decision rests with the business owner.  They pay the bills
> either way.  Usually, extra security is not very expensive but high
security paradigms can be very expensive.

> Too many programmers think this is some kind of art.  It isn't.  It is
> just producing a defined product in return for some perceived value.
>
> Lest anyone think I'm poking a finger at Dean - no.  I learn something
> new just about every post he makes.

06:52:00