I have to ask a question here. Why is there such reticence regarding
App Engine? It would
seem to me that App Engine has been a feather in the cap for Django. A
lot of people don't know Django and at a previous job, I was able to
say that "Google chose django" for App Engine to help validate my use
of it.

I just glanced at the app engine project page and there is even an
article about porting your apps to run in any standard Django
environment.

It may be coincidental, but I thought that a regularized release
schedule (rather than just "use SVN") seemed to come about after the
App Engine announcement.

Has App Engine created a noticeable increase in developers interested
in using Django?

If so, why the seeming lack of excitement around App Engine? Are
google engineers not involved in the community?

Sorry to be posing so many questions, but I've found this aspect of
Django development particularly puzzling.

-Dave